Monday 12 January 2009

The Book Purchase - Problems with the IDE

As planned, I travelled into London to purchase the Greenberg book. It was just as well that I took the trouble to phone Waterstone's in Gower Street beforehand, to reserve the book. When I arrived there, I found that they had only two copies in stock, of which I had grabbed one. On opening the book, I turned immediately to the Section on "Setting Up Processing", in the hope of finding some advice on how to get the IDE going, - which has been causing me some problems. The IDE starts up OK but none of the pull-down menus work. Disappointingly, the book was no more helpful than the "Processing" Web site which adviced that the IDE be started from the command line. This method of start-up, produces a log file which can be used for diagnostic purposes. The log file does not show any errors as such but my feeling is that the problem probably lies in incorrect declaration of CLASSPATH. I am going to write my own "batch" file for CLASSPATH declarations and see if that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment